Honey-Glazed Spago Corn Bread

Y'all. Y'ALL.
Seriously.
I'm having a love affair with this corn bread.

SEER-EE-US-LEE.

I made it the other night to go with this soup (really good soup, by the way) because as the day dawned, there was no dawning. It was overcast, rainy, and cold, and I thought "Soup and corn bread!" Don't even worry, by the time I got home and actually made dinner, it was pushing 70 degrees and sunny (we got snow the day before, however brief it may have been... God bless Texas and its bipolar weather).
So yeah, I've never had crack but I think this may be the corn bread version of it?

I got this recipe from a great book called "Desserts by the Yard." I used to check it out from the library all of the time, but then I saw it for 10 bucks at Half-Priced Books and I jumped all over that one.

The Spago in the recipe's name is indeed the Wolfgang Puck restaurant in LA. The author of the delicious book is his pastry chef there, and her name is Sherry Yard (hence the book's title. Cute right??).
Apparently the San Antonio Spurs are fans of this corn bread? I'm not really a Spurs fan, but there you go (I'm not really a BASKETBALL fan...).

Honey-Glazed Spago Corn Bread

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cake flour
1 cup sugar
2 TB baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3 ounces (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1/2 cup buttermilk

For the glaze:
3 ounces (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup water

1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil and spray the foil with non-stick spray.

2. Sift together the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt 2 times. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs. Melt the butter and immediately whisk into the eggs in a slow stream. Whisk in the oil, milk, and buttermilk. Whisk in the dry ingredients just until combined.

4. Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Rotate the pan from front to back and continue to bake for 10 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. (mine also pulled away from the sides of the pan when it was done, kind of like brownies?)

5. Make the glaze: While the corn bread is baking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the honey and water and whisk until blended.

6. When the corn bread is done, remove from the oven and poke holes all over the bread, about 1/2 inch apart, with a toothpick. Brush with the glaze and allow to cool.

I got nothin', NOTHIN', to change or recommend for this recipe. It was super easy to do half (I didn't think Mike and I needed an entire pan to devour, which we could have easily done. And by we I mean me.) and the glaze just makes it...heaven.


Here's the dry stuff all sifted. I love sifting. It's so....pretty?


Before...


...AFTER! (but BEFORE the glaze...)


I'm drooling over this right now.


Recipe Source: Desserts by the Yard