Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Sheet Cake

I can't even begin to give an excuse for putting off posting about this for about a week. Sometimes, y'all, I procrastinate. There. I said it. Sometimes, it's the bane of my existence. Luckily for you people, this post was deeeefinitely worth waiting for, and you didn't even know it! This recipe was a case of having left over canned pumpkin. I had enough to do a half recipe, but not the whole, so FYI, if you want to half it, it works great in a 9x9 pan.
Also, if you like pumpkin but not pumpkin pie, I would seriously consider using this as a substitute on Thanksgiving.
I will preface this recipe by saying that I left out a vital ingredient... By some trick of fate, it still turned out to be delicious, despite the majorness of this ingredient. I'm anxious to make it again WITH the forgotten ingredient, to see if I like it better with or without. Do you want to know what I left out? Well first maybe you should read the recipe:


Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
3.4 ounce box Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
1/2 cup sour cream
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream (start w 1/4 cup and add a little more cream if needed)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a jelly roll pan with non stick cooking spray.

2. Place cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, pudding, sour cream and pumpkin into a stand or electric mixer, beating until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

3. Place butter into a microwave safe bowl and melt, about 30-40 seconds. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to bowl, mixing until combined. Drizzle mixture evenly over cake then take a knife and run it through to swirl.

4. Bake cake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through and remove. Place powdered sugar and cream into a large bowl and mix until creamy and smooth. Drizzle over warm cake then let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares. Refrigerate if not serving same day.  Enjoy with milk!
Makes 16 to 20 squares



Alright, so here's what I left out: the eggs. Do you want to know what's so hilarious about me leaving out the eggs? I made this on a Sunday and as I was taking inventory of my ingredients (I didn't want to start and then not have everything because I couldn't run to the store. It was the Sabbath people!) I distinctly remember thinking "Oh good, if I do half then I'll still have 2 eggs left for breakfast tomorrow." Twice I thought this. I guess I was just so overcome by how awesome this was going to be that I totally left them out. You know what? It was delicious. SO, if you don't have eggs, or if you're in the middle of baking this and you forgot them, never fear. It still works. 6 out of 6 Roughtons agree.

I am, however, definitely making this again. WITH eggs. (How funny will it be if I end up liking it better without?)


Post-swirl, pre-bake.
At about this point I was thinking "This is really thick cake batter..." I suppose that happens when you leave out the eggs...


This is what it should look like out of the oven! 


At this moment, I would like to invite all of you who make this, to take the time to lick the white drizzle bowl clean. How come I never thought of mixing powdered sugar and heavy cream?!!?!? AMAZING!!!


Recipe Source: Picky Palate