Mango Sorbet

Okay look, this sorbet, it's delicious. It's meant to be made in an ice cream maker and that's really how I would recommend doing it.
Why would I point out something like that?
Well, I don't have an ice cream maker. I want one. I want one real bad. 
But for some reason, I have convinced my brain that I shouldn't get an ice cream maker until I'm in a house that I own. I don't know why. Maybe because they're bulky and I really don't need anymore bulky things in my cramped, apartment kitchen.
Did the lack of an ice cream maker stop me from making this? No. Should it stop you? Probably. Did this turn out good anyways? Yes, yes it did.
I found this information on how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker, and it's really good information. I think if you're doing a custard based frozen treat, you know like...ice cream, it would go exactly the way he said, being done within 2 to 3 hours.
Friends, if it's fruit based, much like this sorbet, it might take you a whopping NINE HOURS. I don't want you thinking I was going back to the freezer every 30 minutes, for 9 hours, to stir this stuff around. No I only did that for about the first 6 or 7 hours, and then we had to go run errands and I just kind of let the chips fall as they would after that.

And that's the story of how I made sorbet without an ice cream maker and will never do it again. Will I make sorbet, again, but use an ice cream maker? OF COURSE! I already told you, this stuff is delicious! And so summery too.

Mango Sorbet

2 large, rip mangoes
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
4 tsp lime juice (or more, to taste)
pinch of salt

Peel and pit the mangoes. Cut the flesh into chunks and place them in a blender or food processor with the sugar, water, lime juice, and salt. Puree the mixture until completely smooth. Taste the mixture and add more lime juice if necessary. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Store in airtight container in freezer.



Here's the blissful beginning. Before hours upon hours of stirring. 


I put mine in an ice bath in the fridge to help it chill faster. It worked. I think you should do this part.


Ta da! I have no picture between the ice bath and this stage. It got really boring there for awhile, stirring. And stirring. And stirring....


Recipe source: Annie's Eats