Mango Crisp

I'm way, WAY, past due to be delivering something delicious to y'all. If I post 2 recipes today, will you forgive me? They involve orange fruit! Right?? And one of them involving orange fruit actually involves oranges!

But not this one.

This is so simple. How hard are crisps? Not hard at all. The mango is a nice component of it, tasting kind of peachy, but not quite? I don't know how else to explain it.
I went hunting for this recipe a couple of weeks ago when I acquired some mangoes and didn't know what to do with them. I'm not the biggest fan of eating them by themselves, so I was bound and determined to find a great way to bake or cook with them.
Enter the crisp.
Also, since I'm not a big fan of eating mangoes, I discovered they have pits? Did you know that? And cutting mangoes apart is quite...interesting? I winged it (wung it? wunged it? wonged it?), but luckily, LUCKILY, one of the food blogs I followed posted a "How To Cut Mangoes" tutorial.

The day after I made the crisp...


Mango Crisp

Ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (ground)
5 cups mango (diced)
1 tablespoon lemon (juice)
1/2 cup flour1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup coconut (unsweetend)
1/4 cup macadamia nuts (toasted and chopped)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter (melted)

Directions:
1. Mix the sugar, cornstarch and cardamom in a large bowl.
2. Add the mango and lemon juice and toss to coat.
3. Mix the flour, rolled oats, coconut, macadamia nuts, brown sugar and butter in a large bowl.
4. Place the mango mixture into an 8x8 inch baking dish and pour the topping on.
5. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. 





Unfortunately, I was dumb and only took before and after pictures of the crisp in the pan. But you get the idea.




This is really good AND unique! I didn't have macadamia nuts or coconut on hand, so I just threw in some more oats to compensate. It's yummy stuff.


Recipe Source: Closet Cooking