White Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies

Short post here, but tasty nonetheless.
I forge on with my quest to bake at least one recipe a month from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook, by year's end. As it is still January, and this is my second recipe to post from that book, I think we have begun to develop a pattern of me baking more than twelve recipes before the end of the year.
You should see my copy of her book, there's a bajillion little pieces of paper sticking out, marking all of the things I want to try. I think I might give her cream cheese biscuits a shot soon.
And I am bound and determined to actually make puff pastry by December. Whether or not I decide it's worth it to make it or just buy it from the store remains to be seen...

ANYWAYS!

This is another cookie recipe. I promise they will not all be cookie recipes, but after baking bread on Saturday, I felt like baking something sweet and these were so easy to throw together. Of course mine are not as beautiful as hers are, but it's all about the taste.
And speaking of the taste, I felt that these were better the next day rather than fresh out of the oven.

White Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies 
Makes about 2 dozen


Ingredients: 
- 1 ¾ cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature.
- ¾ cup of vegetable shortening, room temperature.
- 1 ¼ cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces best quality white chocolate, chopped into ¼-inch chunks 
(I used white chocolate chips, because somehow I had Ghiradelli white chocolate chips in my fridge??? Those are the best surprises)

Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, butter, and shortening until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed and the flour in two batches until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of dough at a time about 2 inches apart.
- Bake rotating the pans halfway though, until lightly golden around the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on the pans for 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Cookie can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container up to 4 days.



Check that out. I LOVE when a cookie has ridiculous amounts of chips.




Recipe Source: Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook